It’s OfficialPosted: August 22, 2011
I just had my last hot shower in these United States of America… so that means I’m officially going to the Peace Corps!!! Thank you Holiday Inn.
Also, yesterday was day #1. We just did the usual: ice breakers, get-to-know-you games, awkward silences, a lot of clapping. But everyone seems really nice and excited about what we’re about to be doing. There are 39 people in my group.
Some new things I learned about Namibia:
- it has a large rhino population
- namibia hosts the largest sand dunes in the world
- don’t try and take pictures of black mambas (which, incidentally, are poisonous ambush predators that can slither up to 12 miles per hour)
- nobody eats vegetables
- theres a huge cheetah conservation effort going on
- the namibian rugby team is the second best in africa, after South Africa
- the population of namibia is smaller than the population of Houston
- in addition to grubs, giant millipedes are a namibian specialty, yummm